general-fitness-discussion

Working out at home: Covid-19 pandemic

2020-03-15 14:27 #0 by: Evelina

Well my gym here in Stockholm, SATS, which has locations in many of the Nordic countries, closed their doors a few days ago for at least two weeks due to the spread of the coronavirus.

I was bummed out because I had just got the hang of a new workout routine, but I definitely understand the circumstances!

I took over a month off of all exercise (including walking) because I have been experiencing a severe amount of nerve pain in my brachial plexus nerves, which run from the neck, through the shoulder, arms, hands and fingers. I am forced to take at least one semester off of university because of the pain. There is no clear diagnosis or a way to manage the pain effectively.

Eventually, I decided enough is enough, I’m in a lot of pain and it hurts to do just about everything except sleep, but I started to go to the gym again two weeks ago to train lower body with isolation exercises. However, I cannot use my upperbody at all, not even to grip things or pick things up. I also can’t do any ab exercises because it hurts my chest and neck. Walking can irritate it if I swing my arms too much but I found that I can do the stair master for cardio.

I found the following exercises work for me: inverted leg press, sitting leg curl, leg extension, sissy squats, adduction and abduction using the machine, single leg stands, step ups body weight. Occasionally, I can do the following exercises too, but they can sometimes irritate my problem area: jumping Bulgarian split squats body weight, banded bridges, banded hip thrust, banded single leg lift, banded donkey kick, and banded laying glute kick.

Many of the accessory exercises I can do at home with a mini band so that is good.

I also bought some new long loop bands to do split squats with the band under one foot and around my waist. I can also do laying leg curls with the band around my ankles and the other end secured onto something sturdy.

I’ve been super bummed out about the fact that I can’t ride my road bike indoors due to the pain. I cannot lean forward and put any pressure on my hands, which is required to ride a road bike. I decided on the day that the gym closed to find a way to use my road bike on the indoor training sitting up straight so that I use mostly my core muscles instead of my arms and shoulders. I bought an attachment for the handlebars, which is supposed to be for triathlons. It is for letting your elbows rest while you lean forward. However, I figured I could attach it backwards and upwards so that I can use it as a stabilizer for my hands while sitting upright while I cycle. I also ordered a new cadence sensor and speed sensor so that I can sync to my Garmin app and watch, as well as a virtual training app. My sensor right now is quite old and not “smart” so I have to type my workouts into the Garmin app manually, which is a inconvenient especially now because it hurts to use my phone and type on the computer.

I have also been going on long walks again but keeping my hands in my pockets.

How has your training been affected by Covid-19?

Are you seeing this as a time to take a break and rest or are you adapting your goals? 🏃🏽‍♀️💪🏼

2020-03-16 14:08 #1 by: Niklas

Im sorry about your pain. Have you tried acupuncture? My naprapath does acupuncture as well. It has helped me a couple of times. Let me know if you want her contact information. She's in the middle of Stockholm.

I haven't had to change anything training related due to the virus. Terminating our company office, on the other hand, has been bad for my everyday exercise. When I don't travel to the office, it is much harder to get it done. My routine is based on the commute. Now, I have to replace it with something else.

2020-03-16 14:15 #2 by: Evelina

Thank you. My physical therapist does acupuncture for me. Its at the vårdcentral so I don’t have to pay for it. It provides some temporary relief, I think. I am waiting for an appointment with neurofysiologi at karolinska university. It is a 3.5 month wait, probably longer now given the covid-19 crisis.

Do you live near a nice walking trail?

2020-03-16 16:19 #3 by: Niklas

There are walking trails around, but I find them quite dull. The nicest one is about 2/3 boring and the rest pretty good. 🙂

2020-03-16 16:56 #4 by: Evelina

Haha that is I always have a list of audiobooks and podcasts to listen to! 😁 If it looks dull outside, at least you can get some knowledge or entertainment while getting some steps in.

2020-03-17 10:08 #5 by: Niklas

If I am on my own, I always listen to podcasts or music. I'm in a period of no routine at the moment, so it's hard to get up from the iPad and go walking. That's why I like to bake the exercise into my daily commute. 🙂

2020-03-17 10:28 #6 by: Evelina

Yeah makes sense! It can be hard to go out for the sake of walking vs having to walk as part of communting.

There is anohter comment in this discussion. It is, however, only visible for logged in members. To read the comment, log in or register to become a member.