Annons:
Taggeneral-fitness-discussion
Read 1071 times
Evelina
2020-03-15 15:27

Working out at home: Covid-19 pandemic

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

Well my gym here in Stockholm, SATS, which has locations in many of the Nordic countries, closed their doors a few days ago for at least two weeks due to the spread of the coronavirus. I was bummed out because I had just got the hang of a new workout routine, but I definitely understand the circumstances! I took over a month off of all exercise (including walking) because I have been experiencing a severe amount of nerve pain in my brachial plexus nerves, which run from the neck, through the shoulder, arms, hands and fingers. I am forced to take at least one semester off of university because of the pain. There is no clear diagnosis or a way to manage the pain effectively. Eventually, I decided enough is enough, I’m in a lot of pain and it hurts to do just about everything except sleep, but I started to go to the gym again two weeks ago to train lower body with isolation exercises. However, I cannot use my upperbody at all, not even to grip things or pick things up. I also can’t do any ab exercises because it hurts my chest and neck. Walking can irritate it if I swing my arms too much but I found that I can do the stair master for cardio. I found the following exercises work for me: inverted leg press, sitting leg curl, leg extension, sissy squats, adduction and abduction using the machine, single leg stands, step ups body weight. Occasionally, I can do the following exercises too, but they can sometimes irritate my problem area: jumping Bulgarian split squats body weight, banded bridges, banded hip thrust, banded single leg lift, banded donkey kick, and banded laying glute kick. Many of the accessory exercises I can do at home with a mini band so that is good. I also bought some new long loop bands to do split squats with the band under one foot and around my waist. I can also do laying leg curls with the band around my ankles and the other end secured onto something sturdy. I’ve been super bummed out about the fact that I can’t ride my road bike indoors due to the pain. I cannot lean forward and put any pressure on my hands, which is required to ride a road bike. I decided on the day that the gym closed to find a way to use my road bike on the indoor training sitting up straight so that I use mostly my core muscles instead of my arms and shoulders. I bought an attachment for the handlebars, which is supposed to be for triathlons. It is for letting your elbows rest while you lean forward. However, I figured I could attach it backwards and upwards so that I can use it as a stabilizer for my hands while sitting upright while I cycle. I also ordered a new cadence sensor and speed sensor so that I can sync to my Garmin app and watch, as well as a virtual training app. My sensor right now is quite old and not “smart” so I have to type my workouts into the Garmin app manually, which is a inconvenient especially now because it hurts to use my phone and type on the computer. I have also been going on long walks again but keeping my hands in my pockets. How has your training been affected by Covid-19? Are you seeing this as a time to take a break and rest or are you adapting your goals? 🏃🏽‍♀️💪🏼

Annons:
Niklas
2020-03-16 15:08

Im sorry about your pain. Have you tried acupuncture? My naprapath does acupuncture as well. It has helped me a couple of times. Let me know if you want her contact information. She's in the middle of Stockholm. I haven't had to change anything training related due to the virus. Terminating our company office, on the other hand, has been bad for my everyday exercise. When I don't travel to the office, it is much harder to get it done. My routine is based on the commute. Now, I have to replace it with something else.

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2020-03-16 15:15

Thank you. My physical therapist does acupuncture for me. Its at the vårdcentral so I don’t have to pay for it. It provides some temporary relief, I think. I am waiting for an appointment with neurofysiologi at karolinska university. It is a 3.5 month wait, probably longer now given the covid-19 crisis. Do you live near a nice walking trail?

Niklas
2020-03-16 17:19

There are walking trails around, but I find them quite dull. The nicest one is about 2/3 boring and the rest pretty good. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2020-03-16 17:56

Haha that is I always have a list of audiobooks and podcasts to listen to! 😁 If it looks dull outside, at least you can get some knowledge or entertainment while getting some steps in.

Niklas
2020-03-17 11:08

If I am on my own, I always listen to podcasts or music. I'm in a period of no routine at the moment, so it's hard to get up from the iPad and go walking. That's why I like to bake the exercise into my daily commute. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Evelina
2020-03-17 11:28

Yeah makes sense! It can be hard to go out for the sake of walking vs having to walk as part of communting.

Annons:
Niklas
2020-03-18 09:40

Exactly. 🙂

Best regards, Niklas 🎈

Scroll to top
Annons: